This is just a quick post about my first adventures in jam/jelly/preserves-making. It’s not something I’m going to be getting into regularly, as the threat of botulism is a scary one, but this recipe is safe and easy.
I did manage to screw it up, despite it being easy. In my determination to get it to the right temperature I overcooked it quite a bit, and once it was in a jar and chilled it was like cement. Not remotely spreadable.
When I had some time, I stuck the open jar in a pan of boiling water to loosen it, then reboiled the marmalade with some water and transferred it to a new (clean) jar. Much better!
I made this marmalade with meyer lemons and vanilla bean. The recipe is here, and I encourage anyone who can get their hands on the ingredients to try it. Just don’t boil it for an extra 15 minutes in an effort to get it to just the right temperature.
The flavor was only slightly affected by the over-boiling…a little more “caramelized” than it should probably taste, and definitely a little darker in color than it should be. But it’s really tasty anyway and I’m definitely enjoying it!